Sunday, April 21, 2013

Depression and Suicide Facts #1

Typically I try to rotate between formal subjects and outdoorsy/physical skills, this time I have decided to take a different course.  For the next few days I will go over several facts related to Depression and Suicide.

-Definitions-

Before I go any further into this subject, I want to define the two terms.

Depression:  n; Severe despondency and dejection, accompanied by feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy; A condition of mental disturbance, typically with lack of energy and difficulty in maintaining concentration or interest in life

Suicide Ideation:  A medical term for thoughts about or an unusual preoccupation with suicide

Suicide:  n; The action of killing oneself intentionally; v; intentionally kill oneself

The reason why I have joined these two topics is due to the fact that a high number of suicide cases/attempts have a direct connection to depression.  Over the next few days I will share insights into the causes, possible symptoms, treatment, who is affected, resources, and more.

No one is alone, be the light you want to see in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment