Sunday, March 17, 2013

Backpacking and Hiking Tips #6

-Gear:  Everything Else (Fire, First Aid, Survival, Extra)-

I promise, this will be my last post about gear, but it's gonna be a doozy.

First of all, there are several key items that backpackers, hikers, campers, and other outdoorsman like to call "essentials."  These are items that you should have on you, no matter the type of trip you go on, they are as follows (no particular order as they are all important):
-Water                 -First Aid Kit
-Food                  -Knife
-Fire Starter         -Flashlight

Fire:  In your bag you should carry several different types of fire starting materials.  I keep all of my fire starting gear in a small bag, which is actually flammable itself.  I have lighters (different colors for different environments), flint and steel, and matches (regular and water/wind proof).  Various types of tools allow you to be the best prepared for different environments and conditions.

My Fire Bag, with matches, flint and steel, and lighters
 First Aid:  No matter the trip you go on, you should have a good first aid kit.  In my gear I carry different sizes of band-aids and bandages, sticking bandages, bandannas for splints, CPR mask, anti-bacterial gear, aspirin, and a knowledge/reference book (good in case you come on something you're unfamiliar with or freak out, which happens)


To the right is some of the first aid gear that I carry.  Note:  I not only carry this gear, I also have different levels of First Aid Training, including:
-Boy Scout First Aid Training
-CPR/AED, Standard First Aid from Red Cross
-Wilderness First Aid from SOLO
Taking courses will help prepare you for the situations you might come across while in the outdoors.


Survival Extras:  These are items that I usually carry with me and have added benefit:
-Mirror, now why do I have a compact mirror in my bag, easy, because I can use it as a signaling mirror and it's compact
-Flashlihgt, multi-tool, and screw driver set, you need to have tools, and no matter how good your night vision, you don't know when it will be especially dark
-Compasses and maps, I carry two types of compasses (one also has a small glow-in-the-dark feature) since I can lend one to someone who has varying skill than myself, I have a backup, and I find one is better for mapping and one better for land navigation.  When you travel to an area you do not know, I highly suggest you pick up a map of the area and keep it in a sheet protector, it can come in handy.
Scissors and markers, these are actually a mix of first aid and multi-purpose gear.  Scissors make certain things easy to cut that knives will dull on, and markers are good for marking things (did you know, that if you put a tourniquet on someone you should put the time, in 24-hr time, on their forehead, as it lets emergency personnel know if it's safe to take it off or not)
Floss and Duct Tape, are two great items, they are great because they are strong and have multiple purposes, first aid, shelter building, repairs, and much more.

Other Gear:  In my bag I keep several other items that have important uses.  An entrenchment tool for digging holes, toilet paper (if you don't know what this is for, then I wonder your age).
Fishing line and fishing kit (note:  I keep a small, simple kit, not displayed, of lures, hooks, bobbers, weights, and sometimes other equipment), the key here is to only carry this if you're going to have the chance to carry it, otherwise it's wasted room.
Rope, always carry rope, of varying colors, lengths, and strengths.
Hot hands, gloves, knitted cap, these are good items to have with you often, as the weather can change dramtically, especially if you are not expecting it.  Before going on a trip, look to see if the area has special micro-climates that can change your hike into an overnighter.
Survival Saw, it is small, simple to use, and may come in handy.
Extra large light. I use this to light-up a set-up camp, it defines our area, and makes it easier to work with a "sun" than handling a flashlight

Extra:  This is gear that I carry, and is useful, but needs will determine if/when you carry it.
-Replacement buckles for my bag
-ID Protector
-Weather-proof notepad and pen/pencil
-Reflector Belt
-Leave No Trace Reference Card
-Other reference guides/books based on the trip
-ID/Identifying information, extra money
-Cellphone, small HAM radio (I don't carry the radio, but some people might, if trained)




I know this has been a lot of information, but like you, I want to move on to a different topic than gear.  What type of gear do you carry on your outings?

No comments:

Post a Comment